Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Sleep tight, baby

Last weekend I rearranged furniture at home. As I've just bought a new sofa set, and started rearranging our living room, everything else followed (with the rearranging, that is): the area under the stairs, the two bedrooms upstairs.

For me, the hardest area to "rearrange" was our bedroom. It's where all three of us (Neil, me, and Lia) sleep. Originally, we put our large bed and a single bed side by side, so that Lia, who sleeps on the single bed, can still reach for me when she wakes up in the middle of the night. But last Saturday, I removed the single bed and replaced it with Lia's toddler bed--one with railings so she won't fall off. Although I still positioned it beside our large bed, it was different from the single bed because there were railings between Lia and me.

That night, Lia didn't complain when I told her she'd be sleeping on her toddler bed. We held hands between the railings while she fell asleep. But, in the middle of the night, she woke up and cried out in surprise. She climbed back to the large bed and snuggled between me and Neil.

When that happened, I sorta wanted to let Lia be. It was okay for me to let her sleep with us (actually, I secretly wanted her to sleep beside me as long as she wills!), but she had to learn about independence (or something like that, hehehe). So, when she finally fell back to sleep, I transferred her to her bed.

It took a long time for me to sleep again that night. I wanted to laugh at myself for "missing" Lia because we weren't snuggled together anymore. :)

Oh well. I have a loooong way to go. I'm sure there'll be more moments like these while she's growing up!



No comments: