Friday, June 15, 2007

Mall tantrums (not)



This is why I'm proud of my Lia even if she pisses me off sometimes: at the mall, she does not go stomping or have crying spells or tantrums or lying-on-the-floor drama whenever she wants something that I don't buy for her.

It's really a wonder how I did that: discipline her shopping behavior. When we go out (especially when we go to Toy Kingdom), I tell her, before entering the store, that we're not buying (just looking around), or we're buying but not an expensive toy, or we're buying but just one item. And she doesn't have a problem with it at all! I never experienced even one bit of a complaint from her.

Last Sunday, we went to Toy Kingdom. I told her that we were not buying anything, but she can point to me what she wants for her birthday. She said, "Okay, Mommy". Then we went around the store, but she could not tell me what she wanted! She'd approach one shelf, look at one item, look at me, then walk away. I don't know if I wanted to laugh or if I wanted to pity her.

So last night, when I was in Robinson's Galeria, I dropped by Toys R Us. I decided to buy her something special--as a reward for being a good girl. I was also a bit guilty of not buying her anything for the past 3 months! After buying this huge playset, I called her up, and told her I had a surprise for her. When I got home, was she glad--AND thankful! I never felt so appreciated. She is such a grateful kid.

I hope she continues this kind of behavior until she grows up!



No comments: